Focus is significantly a new feature that was introduced with macOS Monterey. But this isn’t an unfamiliar feature. If you used to turn on Do Not Disturb to boost productivity when working on your Mac, Focus works the same but with customization options and several modes. In simple words, it is an upgraded version of DND.
What is Focus?
The focus reflects Apple’s promise to beef up its sleep tools so users can set wake-up and sleep times and decide the type of notifications acceptable during their downtime or work hours.
The Focus application is an extension of the Do Not Disturb utility and allows users to establish parts of their day and assign personalized notification settings for each. The different parts of the day can be scheduled regularly or activated on the fly. The settings can be synced across all Apple devices.
Using this tool, users can create a distraction-free workspace free of tempting alerts and notifications. This helps users maximize their productivity and finish tasks in record time.
How to Add or Remove a Focus?
- On macOS Monterey
Click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Notifications & Focus > choose Focus > click the plus button at the bottom of the list > select a Focus, such as Work or Game.
You can also create a custom Focus. Click the plus button at the bottom of the Focus list > select Custom > type a name > choose an icon and color > select Add. For instance, you can create a Workout Focus.
To change a custom Focus, choose a Focus in the list and select Edit. Then, change the icon, name, or color and click Done.
If you wish to remove a Focus, choose the Focus in the list and click the Remove button.
The changes will be synced across your Apple devices.
- On macOS Ventura
Click the Apple menu > System Settings > Focus. Then, you can add a Focus by clicking the Add Focus button or create a custom Focus by clicking Custom.
As for the rest of the processes, it is the same as with macOS Monterey.
What Can You Do With Focus?
The Focus app is designed to be intuitive and user-friendly. The methods of turning on Focus, creating different modes for accomplishing different tasks, and removing Focus modes are straightforward (explained above).
Some of the things you can do with Focus are:
- Create custom Focus modes to manage the alerts and notifications you receive. For instance, you can set up modes for Sleep, Work, Driving, Workout, Swimming, Meditation, etc. You can set the modes to function for a specific period, or you can manually turn the settings off.
- It is possible to block applications from sending distracting notifications while you are trying to focus on your work. For instance, Spotify, Gmail, and other applications may continue to send you tempting notifications. These may distract you from the tasks at hand. You might be tempted to check out the notifications and then lose focus. Thanks to the Focus app, you won’t get any tempting alerts.
- The app blocks websites from sending notifications while allowing exceptions. You can list websites that can and cannot send notifications during a specific time of the day. The URLs can be quickly dragged and dropped into the app and added to the block list.
What Makes Focus the Best Distraction-Blocking Tool on Mac?
- The app is browser-independent. It is in-built with macOS Monterey and Ventura. Regardless of which web browser you use, the tool will block the websites on the blocklist and stop them from sending notifications. Hence, your days of cheating the system are officially over.
- The tool is extremely easy to use and can be turned on or off with a few clicks. The intuitive interface makes all the features readily available.
- The utility is lightweight and comfortably sits on the menu bar. The app doesn’t consume computing power. Focus makes it a rapid and painless process to block distractions and doesn’t interfere with any of the active programs or apps.
- Every aspect of the application can be customized. You can use the pre-designed Focus modes or create custom modes according to your tasks. You can either choose to go hardcore with extreme levels of distraction blocking or keep it light, depending on your to-do list. The Focus modes can be deactivated when you are done.
- Apple continuously upgrades the application for optimal productivity. With every new OS update, you will find some new features to use. Also, Apple is consistently working on user feedback and beta testing new features.
The Bottom Line
Focus is an essential feature on Mac and can also be used on iPhone and iPad. The settings can be synced across Apple devices, and all the changes will immediately apply to all of them. Use this guide to explore the app and utilize its features.